I have butterflies in my stomach. Today is our call with Dr. O to find out how many of our remaining 11 are still growing and are viable blastocysts. Although we have 1 confirmed, we still have another layer to get through before we can move towards the transfer, genetic testing.
We have no reason to believe we will have any genetic abnormalities, but we also never know what’s going on in these genes and dividing cells.
I am so scared that the results will be so small that in the end we won’t have any to work with. I have to turn my thinking around.
My body is hot as I think about the call (in 10 minutes).
We have waited and prayed and although my prayers were for 7 blastocysts, I have come to peace that no number will guarantee a baby.
Instead, I turn my thinking to accepting what is and letting it be the story of faith that even if we just have the one that goes into genetic testing, that all will be exactly as it is supposed to be.
I want to control the outcome. I can’t.
I want to protect my emotions. I can’t.
I choose to feel with a healthy openness to being vulnerable to the desire of my own biological babies balanced with low expectations of the outcome.
Regardless of the number, God is in control.
We get the call.
Dr. O’Brien first asked how I was feeling and was sensitive to hearing how my recovery has been over the past 6 days. She hesitated to give me both the Lupron and HCG shots as my trigger shots for this very reason, it makes the bloating and swelling worst.
This discomfort is worth it to me if we are able to have babies.
Then she let us know, we had one more egg make it to the blastocyst stage and was biopsied and frozen this morning.
There is a possibility for us to have one more, which we will have confirmed tomorrow.
All others did not progress and in a sense ‘died’.
My heart sank.
From 11, there are 2. Maybe 3. (Just confirmed we have 2, 1.9.19).
These are not the final embryos we will use to transfer.
We have one more stage, on more hurdle, to get through, which is the PGS- genetic testing.
We will know in two weeks what our final number of embry-babies will be.
Until then, I just have to keep waiting and trusting that God knows what he’s doing in all of this.
My heart feels quiet. I have no words.
Here’s some more information from Fertility Smarts about Day 6:
Day 6 in the IVF lab – Final Number of Embryos Known
On Day 6 we know the final number of embryos suitable for freezing. Day 6 is the final day in the lab for the embryos at most clinics. The embryologists will assess the remaining embryos and if they have continued to grow overnight they will freeze all that are of good quality. Embryos that have not made a blastocyst by this day are not viable and will not be frozen. Most labs do not grow embryos longer than Day 6 because they need to either be frozen or to be in a uterus after Day 6.
If you choose to undergo chromosome screening on your embryos, a single cell called a blastomere can be taken from each embryo on Day 3, or a small group of 4 to 5 cells can be taken at the blastocyst stage around Day 5/6. This is called embryo biopsy and is done before the embryos are frozen.
Chromosome screening allows the lab to select and thaw only genetically normal embryos for transfer in a frozen embryo transfer cycle. This type of screening is recommended for women who have had multiple failed IVF cycles or are of advanced maternal age (38 or older). The pregnancy rates are very good for all ages of women when the embryos have been screened before transfer.